Here it is -
1.1 How much time do we spend communicating?
In a study done (1996 to 1998) done by Jack E Hulbert, it was found that we spend about 70% of our waking hours communicating, of which 45% was spent on listening.
1.2 The Process of Communication
- Communication is a process of exchanging meaning between two people. It involves the exchange of thoughts, ideas and messages.
- There is no beginning and no end.
- It begins with us: our backgrounds, values and perceptions.
- Two parties are involved.
1.3 The 3 Vs of Communication
- Visual Communication (Body Language - 55%)
- Vocal Communication (38%) - In dealing with people, your tone of voice communicates more meanings than your verbal content.
- Verbal Communication (7%) - Although verbal may constitute only 7% of communication process but the chosen words can dampen or heighten someone's feelings.
- It involves concentration and effort.
- It listens not only to contents but also to body language.
- It uses the verbal and non-verbal components of communication.
- It requires us to be objective not to jump into conclusions and to avoid criticizing others.
Hope you like this sharing and learn something too.